Thanksgiving BibingkaSa 23 September 2023
Bibingka Ingredients: - 2 cups glutinous rice flour - 1/4 cup granulated sugar - 3/4 teaspoon baking powder - 2 large eggs - 1 can coconut milk (about 1.5 to 1.75 cups depending on brand) - 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter or margarine - 1/2 cup grated coconut (optional, but traditional and recommended) - salt - banana leaves for wrapping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the glutinous rice flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and a pinch of salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the two eggs until frothy. Add in the coconut milk while whisking continuously. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredient bowl, mixing everything together until you have a smooth batter with no lumps. Stir in the melted butter or margarine. If using, fold in the grated coconut now as well.
- Cut several pieces of aluminum foil large enough to wrap around each bibingka mold. Place one piece of banana leaf onto each mold then top it off with a sheet of aluminum foil. Brush some oil or cooking spray over both layers so that they don't stick together during baking.
- Fill each bibingka mold about three quarters full with the prepared batter. Depending on the size of your molds, you may need to do this in batches.
- Carefully transfer the filled molds to a baking tray. Put them in the preheated oven and let them bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown and set. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean when done.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bibingkas to cool slightly before serving. Traditionally, these are served with butter and cheese, but you can also enjoy them plain if preferred. Enjoy!