Thanksgiving Creamed Greens PotpieDi 19 September 2023
Creamed Greens Potpie
Ingredients: - 1 cup milk - 2 cups heavy cream - 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided - 1 small onion, finely chopped - 3 cloves garlic, minced - 1 pound mixed greens such as kale, Swiss chard, and spinach, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped - Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste - 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper - 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed if frozen - 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk and heavy cream over medium heat until slightly thickened but not boiling; set aside.
- In another large skillet or pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add your mixture of chopped greens to the pan with the onions and garlic. Cook until wilted down, which should take around 7-10 minutes depending on your choice of greens. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper according to taste preferences.
- Slowly pour the warmed milk and cream mixture into the greens while stirring continuously so they don't get too watery or break apart. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld together. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, unfold each sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out both pieces until they are approximately 1/8 inch larger than the diameter of your pie dish(es) or baking dish(es), making sure there is enough overlap to create a sealed edge.
- Transfer one piece of rolled-out dough into your chosen dish(es), pressing it gently against the bottom and sides. Fill the lined dishes with the warm creamed greens mixture.
- Brush the edges of the bottom layer of dough with beaten egg. Place the second piece of rolled-out dough on top and press the edges together to seal, trimming any excess dough if necessary. Use a sharp knife to make small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Lightly brush the entire surface of the top crust with more beaten egg. Bake at 400°F (205°C) for 30-40 minutes, or until the pastry turns golden brown and crisp. Allow the potpie(s) to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!