Thanksgiving French Onion Macaroni and CheeseDo 16 November 2023
French Onion Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients: - 1 pound elbow macaroni - 2 tablespoons unsalted butter - 3 medium onions, thinly sliced - Salt - 4 cloves garlic, minced - 1/4 cup all-purpose flour - 2 cups whole milk - 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups) - Freshly ground black pepper - 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
breadcrumbs or crushed crackers, shredded cheese, chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with butter or nonstick spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the elbow macaroni and cook until al dente according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the sliced onions and season with a pinch of salt. Cook the onions slowly for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are softened, golden brown, and very sweet. Stir in the minced garlic during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Sprinkle the cooked onions with the flour and mix well. Slowly pour in the whole milk while continuously stirring to avoid lumps from forming. Continue to cook until the sauce thickens slightly, around 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the grated sharp cheddar cheese until fully melted into the sauce. Season with more salt if needed, as well as plenty of freshly ground black pepper and dried thyme. Mix in the cooked macaroni pasta.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. If desired, top with additional shredded cheese, bread crumbs, or crushed crackers for extra texture. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly golden brown on top.
- Allow the casserole to cool briefly before serving garnished with chopped fresh parsley, if desired. Enjoy!