Thanksgiving Jollof RiceSa 07 Oktober 2023
Jollof Rice Ingredients: - 2 cups of basmati rice or any long grain rice - 1 large onion, chopped finely - 4 tomatoes, blended - 2 Scotch bonnet peppers (optional) - 3 tablespoons vegetable oil - 1 chicken/vegetable cube - Salt to taste - 1 teaspoon curry powder - ½ teaspoon thyme - 1 teaspoon garlic paste - 1 medium carrot, diced - 1 green bell pepper, sliced - 1 red bell pepper, sliced - 2 cups water or stock
- Rinse and drain the rice thoroughly until the water runs clear. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, fry the onions in vegetable oil for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Add the garlic paste, curry powder, and thyme; stir continuously for another minute.
- Pour in the blended tomatoes and scotch bonnet peppers if using. Cook down for around 10 minutes until it becomes thick like stew.
- Stir in the chicken/vegetable cube, salt, carrots, green & red bell peppers into the mixture. Mix well then add the drained rice. Ensure all grains are coated with the sauce.
- Pour in two cups of water or stock, cover and bring to a boil on high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, let simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed by the rice. Do not lift the lid during this time!
- After cooking, remove from heat, leave covered for an additional 10 minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together perfectly.
- Fluff up the jollof rice with a fork just before serving. Enjoy your delicious Jollof Rice!