Thanksgiving Mushroom StroganoffMi 25 Oktober 2023
1 lb. of mushrooms, sliced; 2 tbsp. unsalted butter; 1 small onion, diced; 2 cloves garlic, minced; 8 oz. cream cheese, softened; 1 cup sour cream; ¼ tsp. salt; ½ tsp. black pepper; 2 cups cooked and cubed chicken breast; 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour; ¾ cup beef broth; ½ tsp. paprika; fresh parsley for garnishing
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the onions and cook until they become translucent, about 5 minutes. Next, add the garlic and continue cooking for another minute.
- Increase the heat to high and stir in the sliced mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid and it has evaporated, which should take around 7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat back down to medium and sprinkle the flour over the mixture, stirring continuously so that no lumps form. Let this cook for an additional two minutes.
- Gradually pour in the beef broth while continuing to stir. Bring everything up to a simmer, then reduce the heat once more so that the stroganoff is maintaining a gentle simmer. Allow it to cook like this for approximately five minutes or until it thickens slightly.
- Remove the pan from the stove and gently mix in the softened cream cheese, ensuring that there are no remaining chunks. Then stir in the sour cream along with the salt and black pepper. Return the pan to low heat and allow it to warm through without boiling.
- Once your sauce is heated through, fold in your cooked and cubed chicken breast pieces. Continue heating for an extra three minutes before serving hot over egg noodles or rice. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired.