Thanksgiving Roasted Butternut Squash SoupMi 20 September 2023
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients: - 1 large butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into chunks - 2 tablespoons olive oil - Salt and pepper to taste - 1 medium onion, chopped - 2 cloves garlic, minced - 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth - ½ cup heavy cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the butternut squash chunks with the olive oil until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread out onto a baking sheet in an even layer.
- Roast for about 35 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the squash is tender and slightly caramelized around the edges. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the squash is roasting, cook the onions over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook another minute longer.
- Once the squash has cooled enough to handle, add it to the pot with the onions along with your choice of broth. Bring everything up to a simmer then reduce heat to low and let it cook gently for about 20 minutes. This will help deepen the flavor of the soup.
- Use an immersion blender (or carefully transfer the contents of the pot to a traditional blender) to puree the soup until smooth. Be cautious when using a regular blender as hot liquids can cause explosions! Return the puréed soup back to the stove if necessary.
- Stir in the optional heavy cream at this point if you want a richer tasting soup. Heat through without letting it boil. Taste for seasoning and adjust with more salt, pepper, or extra broth as desired.
- Ladle into bowls and serve immediately with crusty bread or garnishments such as chopped chives or a drizzle of creme fraiche. Enjoy your delicious roasted butternut squash soup!