Thanksgiving Wild Rice and Berries with Popped RiceMo 09 Oktober 2023
Wild Rice and Berries with Popped Rice
1 cup wild rice blend 2 cups water or vegetable broth 1 tablespoon olive oil 1/2 cup red onion, diced 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 cups mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries) 1 cup popped rice (popcorn) 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 2 tablespoons lime juice Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the wild rice under cold water in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs clear. This will help remove any excess starch from the rice. Drain well.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the washed wild rice with 2 cups of either water or vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the rice is tender but still chewy. Remove from heat and let stand covered for another 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork. Set aside.
- While the wild rice cooks, prepare your other ingredients. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced onions and cook them until they are softened and starting to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Next add the cooked wild rice, mixed berries, popped rice, chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Toss everything together so that all the ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the dish. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, just long enough to warm through the berries and popcorn without making them too mushy.
- Serve immediately as a side dish or main course salad. Enjoy!