Thanksgiving Wild Rice and Mushroom CasseroleMi 27 September 2023
Wild Rice and Mushroom Casserole
1 cup wild rice blend, 2 cups water, 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, 4 tbsp unsalted butter, 1 small onion, 3 cloves garlic, ½ cup chopped fresh parsley, salt and pepper to taste, ¾ cup chicken broth, ¼ cup heavy cream, ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 2 eggs, beaten, ⅓ cup dry breadcrumbs, cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the wild rice blend and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the rice is tender but still chewy. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for another 10 minutes before draining any excess liquid.
- While the rice cooks, clean and slice the cremini mushrooms. Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms, onions, half of the chopped parsley, salt, and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned (about 7-10 minutes). Transfer this mixture into a bowl and set it aside.
- Wipe out the skillet using a paper towel. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Whisk in the chicken broth, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, dried thyme, and Dijon mustard. Let this sauce bubble gently for around 5 minutes while constantly stirring.
- Gradually whisk some of the hot sauce into the beaten eggs. Then pour the egg mixture back into the skillet, stirring well. Heat through but do not let the mixture boil.
- Combine the cooked wild rice with the vegetable mixture and fold in the sauce. Pour everything into your greased baking dish.
- Mix together the dry breadcrumbs and remaining fresh parsley. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole. Bake uncovered at 350°F for about 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Allow the casserole to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!