Vegan Christmas Appetizer: Cashew Cheese & Cranberry Relish Naan Bread
Do 20 Juli 2023
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (for frying the naan bread)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes or paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Garlic clove, minced
- Fresh mint leaves (optional for garnish)
- Naan bread
- Place the cashews in a mixing bowl and cover them with water to soak overnight. Drain the water after soaking and rinse the cashews thoroughly before placing them back into the bowl along with the cranberries (if using). Set aside.
- In a small pot, heat 3 tbsp of olive oil on medium-high heat until it becomes shiny. Add the minced garlic clove and stir for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat up another small pot with water to boil. Place a large bowl or strainer over the pot and pour in some ice cubes. This will help cool down the water quickly, allowing you to blanch your cashews easily. Blanch the soaked cashews for 20-30 seconds until they turn bright white (they'll be soft and squishy). Immediately transfer them into a bowl of cold water using a slotted spoon or colander to prevent them from cooking any further, then drain well.
- Place the blanched cashews in a food processor and add all the remaining ingredients: olive oil, red chili flakes/paprika, turmeric, sea salt, minced garlic clove, and cranberries (if using). Pulse until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed to help create a creamy consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F and grease a baking sheet with some oil or non-stick cooking spray. Place a naan bread on each baking sheet and brush them with olive oil, making sure that all sides are coated well.
- Bake the naans for 5-10 minutes until golden brown, flipping them halfway through to achieve even browning.
- Serve warm with your homemade cashew cheese and cranberry relish spread on top of the naan bread. Sprinkle with chopped fresh mint leaves (optional) for a refreshing, flavorful finishing touch.